…Being able to think, and decide, for ourselves. Not allowing others to define who we are.
What does it mean to function well in life? What does it mean to have good mental health? It means we exhibit the following traits:
- Feeling good about ourselves; accepting that we have both strengths and weaknesses. Understanding that change takes time, and being patient with ourselves.
- Being able to effectively manage our emotions so we’re not controlled or overwhelmed by them (Feelings of anxiety, fear, anger, rage, bitterness, hatred, jealousy, and so on).
- Being able to form and enjoy stable, healthy, boundaried and meaningful relationships.
- Feeling at ease in the company of others.
- Not taking life too seriously; being able to laugh at ourselves.
- Respecting ourself, our values, beliefs, attitudes, choices and decisions. Also, respecting others and their right to think, choose, decide and act for themselves.
- Being able to accept, and to cope with, disappointment. This includes being able to adapt and compromise when this is healthy and…
View original post 107 more words